03 Sep Roasted Plum Ice Cream Recipe
Let’s be honest, raw plums are only delicious when they are at the perfect degree of ripeness. Plums that haven’t ripened yet tend to be tart and require a copious amount of sugar to make them taste incredible. However, ripe plums are sweet enough to make plum ice cream.
What Are Plums?
Plums are fruits belonging to the Prunus subg family. Mature plums usually have a dusty-white waxy film known as wax bloom that gives them a powdery color that closely resembles the skin of a grape.
How To Tell If Plums Are Ripe
Finding ripe plums is a fairly simple process. Ripe plums are heavier than nonripe plums. Hold the plum in the palm of your hand, and if it feels heavy, it is ripe. On the other hand, if the plum’s texture is too soft, it is overripe. The texture should be firm but not firm.
How To Make Roasted Plum Ice Cream
To make this roasted plum ice cream recipe, all you have to do is roast fresh plums in the oven with brown sugar and a pinch of sea salt. Roasting the plums intensifies the flavor of the fruit. The sugars caramelize, and the juices are released, leaving you with beautifully roasted tender plums.
Next heavy cream, half and half, and sugar are heated with a few special ingredients. Minced ginger, orange juice, and orange zest are infused into the cream mixture until it is fragrant. These ingredients provide the ice cream with an extra depth of flavor.
The plums are blended into a smooth puree and combined with the ginger orange-infused cream. The plum ice cream base is chilled overnight, then churned in an ice cream machine and place into a freezer until it is set.
Roasted Plum Ice Cream
- 2 lbs ripe plum
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp raw ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Program the oven to 400°F.
- Cut the plums in half, remove the pith from them and place them onto a rimmed parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar, sea salt and bake them for 20 minutes until they are tender and the juices have been released.
- Let the roasted plums sit for 5 minutes and place the minced ginger, heavy cream, half and half, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and orange zest into a saucepot.
- Heat the cream mixture for 4-5 minutes until the sugar crystals dissolve, then pour it into a sieve set over a bowl.
- Place the roasted plums into a blender along with 1/2 cup of ginger-infused cream and blend it into a smooth puree.
- Pour the pureed plums into a sieve set over a bowl, and throw away the pulp. Stir in the ginger-infused cream, cover it, and refrigerate it for at least 4-5 hours or overnight.
- Churn the roasted plum ice cream base into an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer the roasted plum ice cream into an airtight freezer-safe container and freeze it for 3-4 hours.
- If using frozen plums, adjust the baking time to 25-30 minutes to allow the extra moisture to evaporate and the plums to dry out a bit more.