20 Aug Roasted Hazelnut Ice Cream Recipe
Hazelnut ice cream is like the coffee of the ice cream world. Think of hazelnut coffee but a million times better. This hazelnut ice cream has a beautifully nutty flavor with a hint of citrus perfect if you are a lover of all things hazelnut.
What Does Hazelnut Ice Cream Taste Like?
If you love coffee, hazelnut’s flavor profile is similar to coffee. However, hazelnut flavor is more concentrated than coffee. It has a nuttier taste than coffee that is slightly savory rather than sweet.
When you need a break from your coffee addiction, hazelnut would be the next best thing. This way, you get the same nutty flavor without the addictive qualities.
How To Make Hazelnut Ice Cream
Roasted hazelnuts, brown sugar, orange liqueur, and vanilla extract are blended into a smooth, creamy butter, then steeped into warm cream until it dissolves.
The hazelnut-infused cream is then chilled overnight and churned in an ice cream maker until it doubles in size. The result yields an addictingly smooth, rich ice cream that explodes with flavor in your mouth.
Hazelnut Ice Cream Add-Ons
Like coffee, chocolate pairs perfectly with hazelnuts. You can stir in chopped or shaved chocolate during the final minutes of churning time, or layer the hazelnut ice cream in a loaf pan and swirl blobs of Nutella into it.
I like to drizzle my hazelnut ice cream with caramel sauce and top it with crushed roasted hazelnuts.
Roasted Hazelnut Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 cup roasted shelled hazelnuts
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp orange liqueur
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place the half and half, heavy cream, 1/2cup of brown sugar, maple syrup, and sea salt into a heavy bottom saucepan over medium-low heat and heat it for 4-5 minutes until the sugar crystals dissolve.
- Place the roasted hazelnuts, orange liqueur, and vanilla extract into a food processor and blend it into a smooth paste. Add the hazelnut butter to the cream and cook it over medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Pour the hazelnut cream mixture into a bowl or liquid measuring cup to cool the hazelnut ice cream base to room temperature, cover it with plastic wrap and chill it for 4hours or overnight.
- Churn the roasted hazelnut ice cream base into an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer the hazelnut ice cream into an airtight freezer-safe container and freeze it for 3-4 hours.
- If using you cannot find roasted hazelnuts, roast your own. Place hazelnuts onto a cookie sheet roast them for 10 minutes at 300ºF.