13 Mar The Ultimate Pistachio Ice Cream Recipe
Do you love pistachio ice cream? Look no further than this heavenly homemade pistachio ice cream recipe! It’s creamy and delicious with salty, crunchy pieces of pistachio in every scoop.
Why is this the Ultimate Homemade Pistachio Ice Cream?
I know what you are thinking. What makes this the ultimate homemade pistachio ice cream? I guarantee this ice cream is better than any store-bought ice cream. The technique and ingredients used to create the ice cream provide the signature pistachio ice cream flavor.
Best of all, you can add a few toasted almonds to make pistachio almond ice cream, or you can use organic ingredients this way; you will know you are eating truly organic pistachio ice cream.
What Can I Use Instead Of Pistachio Paste?
Not only is pistachio paste expensive, but it can be tough to find. Luckily you can make your own pistachio paste! Simply add some of the pistachios to a food processor along with the sugar, grind them into a fine paste!
How To Make Pistachio Ice Cream
Gently heat the cream, milk, and sugar, stir the pistachio paste into the cream mixture and simmer it to release the pistachio’s nutty flavor. Next, temper the pistachio cream mixture into the lightly beaten eggs, cook until it thickens enough, and pour the base through a fine-mesh sieve placed on top of a mixing bowl. Stir in almond and vanilla extract and chill the pistachio ice cream base overnight.
Churn your pistachio ice cream in an ice cream machine according to the manufacture’s guidelines. Roughly chop the remaining pistachios, fold them into the ice cream and transfer it to an airtight freezer-safe container. Place the pistachio ice cream in the freezer to set up for 3-4 hours.
Pistachio Ice Cream Recipe
- Large mixing bowl
- Heavy-bottom sauce pan
- 1 cup pistachios
- ⅗ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- Add the milk and cream to a large heavy-bottom saucepan and gently scald it. While the milk and cream mixture is scalding, add 1/2 cup of pistachios and the granulated sugar to a food processor, blend until a fine paste forms.
- Pour the pistachio paste into the cream and milk mixture, then continue to heat it, constantly whisking every minute until the sugar dissolves about 3-4 minutes. Set the ice cream base aside.
- Add the egg yolks to a medium mixing bowl and beat well using a whisk. Slowly pour a cup of the hot cream pistachio mixture into the eggs, constantly whisking to prevent the eggs from coagulating. Gradually pour the egg mixture into a steady stream back into the heavy bottom saucepan with the remaining cream, stir to combine, then simmer the base over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring every so often until the custard thickens and reaches a temperature of 170 F.
- Remove the ice cream base from the range and pour it through a fine-mesh sieve placed on top of a large mixing bowl, then stir in the almond and vanilla extracts. Let the pistachio ice cream base cool to room temperature, then place a plastic wrap over it, directly pressing it into the base to stop skin from forming on the surface of the ice cream base. Refrigerate the base overnight.
- Take the pistachio ice cream base out of the refrigerator, pour it into an ice cream machine, and churn according to the producer's directions. Once the ice cream doubles in volume, roughly chop the remaining pistachios and fold them into the base. Place the pistachio ice cream into a freezer-safe container and chill for 3-4 hours before serving.
- If you are using vanilla extract, make sure it is pure vanilla extract. Imitation vanilla extract leaves an unpleasant after-taste.
- Do not skip pouring the base into a fine mesh strainer! Your ice cream will be coarse rather than smooth and creamy one.