29 Mar Maple Vanilla Vegan Ice Cream Recipe
With veganism on the rise, it is no wonder that vegan ice cream has gained popularity too! Why should dairy eaters get to enjoy a sweet, creamy, delicious scoop of ice cream? Non-dairy ice cream lovers deserve it too! Luckily this vegan ice cream recipe is here to save the day.
What Makes This Ice Cream So Creamy?
The secret ingredients are full-fat coconut milk, cream of coconut, and cashews. Unlike other vegan milk replacers such as almond, oat, or soy milk, full-fat, creamy coconut milk provides the ice cream with a fatty and creamy texture that can only be obtained from a can of full-fat coconut milk. If you use almond or soy milk, your ice cream will not be as rich and creamy.
The cashews are soaked in hot water overnight. It’s an extra step, but it’s totally worth it. The hot water softens the cashews. Combined with the coconut milk and cream of coconut, the maple vanilla ice cream will be extra smooth and sinfully creamy.
Maple Vanilla Vegan Ice Cream Recipe
- 28 oz full-fat coconut milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in hot water overnight and drained
- 1 cup cream of coconut
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Add the coconut milk and vanilla bean to a saucepot and gently heat it for 3-5 minutes over medium heat. Once hot, remove it from the stove and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Remove the vanilla bean from the coconut milk and add it to a blender along with the soaked cashews, cream of coconut, maple syrup, and sea salt. Blend the ice cream base for 3-5minutes until it is smooth.
- Pour the ice cream base into a large bowl then, split the vanilla bean down the center and remove the seeds using the back of the knife. Stir the vanilla bean seed into the icecream base, cover it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate it overnight.
- Churn the maple vanilla vegan ice cream in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions, then transfer the ice cream into a freezer-safe container once it doubles in volume. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the ice cream to prevent ice crystals from forming, then seal it with the lid. Freeze for 4-6 hours until the maple vanilla ice cream is firm.
- If you do not have access to vanilla beans, use vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract. If using vanilla extract, do not use imitation vanilla extract. It leaves an unpleasant after-taste.