12 Nov Coconut Ice Cream Recipe
At some point in our lives, those of us who live in cold climates always wish to be on a beach eating a fresh coconut. Though it won’t physically transport you to the beach, this spiked coconut ice cream will take you on a delicious mental vacation.
Tips For Making Coconut Ice Cream
Use cream of coconut! There is no making this spiked coconut ice cream without coconut of cream. It is an essential ingredient.
Cream of coconut is a common ingredient made popular by the pina colada. You can find this ingredient in the mixed drinks section of your local grocery store.
Kept at room cream of coconut will remain a liquid. However, when it is refrigerated, it transforms into a solid. If it is solid, the coconut ice cream will not be smooth and creamy. For this reason, it is best to make sure your cream of coconut is at room temperature when you mix it into the ice cream base.
Though cream of coconut adds a bit of texture to the ice cream, too much texture can become a problem. If you want a smooth, creamy coconut ice cream, blend the ice cream base in a blender.
The second tip for making this spiked coconut ice cream is whisking the eggs by hand. Though it gives you an arm workout, there is no need to break out your hand or stand mixer. You will be creating more unnecessary dishes to wash.
Whisk the eggs for a few minutes until they turn pale yellow, and you’re all set.
Coconut Ice Cream Recipe
- 3 large egg yolks
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 14 oz can coconut milk
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 15 oz can cream of coconut
- 3 tbsp Bourbon
- Place the heavy cream, coconut milk, and shredded coconut into a heavy bottom nonstick saucepot and heat it over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes until bubbles appear on the edges of the cream mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk the large egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow in color.
- Ladle a little bit of the cream and coconut mixture into the egg yolks and sugar mixture and whisk to combine.
- Gradually pour the remaining cream and coconut mixture into the egg yolks until combined.
- Return the spiked coconut ice cream base to the pot, place it on the stove and cook for 5-8 minutes, constantly stirring until it thickens slightly.
- Remove the spiked coconut ice cream base from the stove, pour it into a fine-mesh strainer set over a bowl, and allow the spiked coconut ice cream base to cool completely.
- Stir in the coconut cream, and bourbon then pour the ice cream into a blender and blend it until smooth.
- Return the spiked coconut ice cream to the bowl, place a sheet of plastic wrap directly on top of it and chill it for 6hours or overnight.
- Churn the spiked coconut ice cream in an ice cream machine, according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer the spiked coconut ice cream to a freezer-safe container and freeze it for 4-6 hours before scooping.
- Add 1/4 cup toasted coconut during the last five minutes of churning time to increase the coconut's flavor.