29 Oct Banana Ice Cream Recipe
Bananas are such a versatile ingredient! From banana bread to banana pudding and now banana ice cream, this ice cream is lusciously creamy and delicious. One taste, and you will be addicted to this banana ice cream.
Why Should I Make Banana Ice Cream from Scratch?
Though you can simply visit your local grocery store and pick up a pint of banana ice cream, you probably would not be able to recognize or pronounce more than half of the ingredients on the label. On the other hand, by making your own banana ice cream, you will know exactly what went into your ice cream. There will be no additives or preservatives added to your food.
Additionally, another benefit that comes with making your own banana ice cream is the joy of knowing you made it from scratch. That is something a store-bought pint of ice cream cannot give you.
Should I Freeze Bananas For Banana Ice Cream?
Absolutely not! This is a custard-based ice cream. Since there are ingredients such as eggs and cream in this recipe, there is no need to freeze your bananas. All that’s required is simply mashing room temperature bananas then mix them into the custard.
Is There A Dairy-Free Version Of Banana Ice Cream?
You can absolutely substitute dairy-free milk to make this bananaice cream. Simply substitute the half and half and heavy cream with oat milk, coconut milk, or any other dairy-free milk. Additionally, you can also eliminate the eggs if you are vegan.
However, dairy-free milk will alter the texture of this ice cream. The cream, eggs, and half and half are responsible for giving the ice cream its creamy texture. Without the dairy products, the banana ice cream will not be as creamy and contain more ice crystals.
Banana Ice Cream
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup half and half
- 1¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp heavy cream
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Whisk the brown sugar, white sugar, and egg yolks in a large bowl until pale yellow in color.
- Whisk in the cornstarch just until combined and set it aside.
- Place the sea salt, half and half, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a medium saucepan and heat it over medium-low for 4-5 minutes until bubbles appear around the perimeter of the cream mixture.
- Ladle a little bit of the spiced cream mixture and whisk to combine.
- Gradually pour the remaining spiced cream mixture into the egg yolks until combined.
- Return the banana ice cream base to the pot, place it on the stove, and cook for 5-8minutes, constantly stirring until it thickens slightly.
- Remove the banana ice cream base from the stove, pour it into a fine-mesh strainer set over a bowl, and allow the banana ice cream base to cool completely.
- Place the bananas into a food processor and process them into a smooth puree.
- Addthe banana puree and vanilla bean paste to the banana ice cream, cover it withcling wrap pressing the wrap directly on the banana ice cream base andrefrigerate it overnight.
- Churn the banana ice cream in an ice cream machine, according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer the banana ice cream to a freezer-safe container and freeze it for 4-6 hours before scooping.
- Use overripe bananas. They will enhance the sweetness and flavor of the ice cream.
- You can top this ice cream with pecans, cashews, walnuts, or macadamia nuts.